Pop on the grill before eating your fill
Cajun blackened BBQ chicken with pineapple and herb rice
This delicious barbecued chicken is flavoured with a simple Cajun-style mix of herbs and spices but use a ready-made Cajun spice blend if you prefer. The pineapple and herb rice is so easy to make and uses a handy store cupboard standby.
- For the chicken:
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp unsmoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- For the rice
- 250g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Kallo Garlic and Herb Stock Cube, dissolved in 500ml boiling water
- 420g tin pineapple chunks in juice, drained (or ½ a small pineapple, peeled and chopped)
- A generous handful of chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, coriander are all perfect)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This recipe uses...< Our tasty recipes
How to make
- Firstly, marinate the chicken by mixing all the rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Spread over the chicken and rub all over. Cover and leave to marinate for 45 minutes, or overnight in the fridge is fine.
- Add the rice to a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 30 minutes before draining well. Heat the oil in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid and set over a low heat, stirring through the rice to make sure every grain is coated. Pour in the stock and bring back up to the boil, cover with a lid and boil for just one minute. Turn off the heat, leave the lid undisturbed and allow the rice to finish cooking for 13 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff up the grains with a fork and stir through the pineapple and herbs and season well. Re-cover loosely with the lid to keep warm whilst you cook the chicken.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, fire up the BBQ. When its hot, cook the chicken on all sides until crisp, deeply golden and cooked all the way through - around 30 minutes.