Gather a group and make them some soup!
French Onion Soup with cider and cheddar toastie croutons
A delicious and warming French classic with a Somerset slant!
To make this gluten and lactose free, use dairy free margarine or all olive all and use gluten free toast, minus the cheese for croutons.
- 1kg onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 250ml dry cider
- 2 Kallo French Onion Stock Cubes, dissolved in 1 litre boiling water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the croutons:
- 4 slices granary bread
- 2-4 tsp English mustard, to taste
- 150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
This recipe uses...< Our tasty recipes
How to make
- Add the oil and butter to a heavy based saucepan and set over a low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onions, thyme and sugar. Allow to fry very gently, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and caramelised, this will take at least half an hour, perhaps a little more. Be patient, the caramelisation will add masses of flavour to the soup.
- Pour in the cider, turn up the heat a little and allow it to bubble away and evaporate for a few minutes before pouring in the stock. Season well with salt and pepper, bring up to the boil and simmer steadily for 20 minutes. Taste to check the seasoning and keep warm.
- To make the cheddar toastie croutons, toast the bread on both sides under the grill. Spread each with mustard to taste and sprinkle on the cheddar. Return to the grill for a minute or two until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Allow to cool for a moment before chopping into 1cm squares.
- To serve, ladle the soup into deep bowls and scatter the croutons on top. Eat immediately.