Beans on toast that’ll make you boast
Homemade Boston baked beans with toasted sourdough
Tinned baked beans have their place, but this recipe is truly the real deal and can’t be beaten! It is best, for taste and texture, to make this with dried beans cooked slowly in the oven but if you are short of time, use tinned haricot beans and cook the dish for 30 minutes on the hob.
Cooks tip: baked beans freeze well so make a double batch of beans and freeze some for later
- 200g dried haricot or cannellini beans - soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 x Kallo Tomato and Herb Stock Cubes
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced sourdough to serve
This recipe uses...< Our tasty recipes
How to make
- Drain the soaked beans and put in a large saucepan with the bay leaves and one of the stock cubes. Cover with a litre or so of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer until the beans are just soft, this should take about an hour, depending on your beans. Drain the cooked beans and remove the bay leaves. The delicious flavour of the stock will have been absorbed by the beans.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 150°C fan / gas 3.
- Add the oil to a large flameproof casserole dish and set over a medium-low heat. Fry the bacon lardons, onion and celery for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Pour in the tinned tomatoes and water, and add the other stock cube, sugar, treacle, vinegar and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the drained beans, stirring well to mix. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours. Stir and check half way through cooking to make sure the beans aren’t drying out, if they are add a splash of water.
- Taste to check the seasoning and serve piping hot spooned over hot buttered toasted sourdough. If serving for the family, cut the sourdough into fun shapes for the kids to enjoy!